Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires to address the needs of a broad range of customers, including consumers, automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment manufacturers, and those in the agricultural, forestry and mining industries.
The companies are also engaged in retreading operations throughout the Western Hemisphere and produce air springs, roofing materials, and industrial fibers and textiles. The Bridgestone Americas family of companies also operates the world’s largest chain of automotive tire and service centers.
Guided by its global corporate social responsibility (CSR), commitment Our Way to Serve, Bridgestone embraces its responsibility as a global leader by striving to improve the way people move, live, work and play.
The Director, Global Innovation and Research will engage in, and direct a team toward the identification of Breakthrough Growth Opportunities as a key part of the Strategic Innovative Investment Pillar. This will be accomplished through New Engineering Approaches, New Materials, New Processes, and/or Identification of New Business Opportunities for Firestone Building Products on a Global Basis.
Winning opportunities will be engaged on a pre-stage gate basis, and when appropriate, transition into the corporate stage gate process for new opportunities.
• The Director, Global Innovation and Research is Responsible, on a Global Basis, Toward Identification of New Technologies and Resolving Unmet Market Needs within Firestone’s Building Products Business.
• Responsibilities include Establishing Strategic Partnerships, Pursuit of Technology Transfer from other industries, Fostering Internal Inventions and Achieving Vertical Supply Integration.
• Technically Represent Firestone Building Products Research and Development in Traditional and Non-Traditional Industry Associations.
• Typical Output Results will be to Deliver Market Leading and/or Market Changing Technology, Products and Intellectual Property.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Identify and leverage ideas, engineering solutions, technologies, cross market opportunities.
• Compile and utilize all internal knowledge within FSBP and adjacent acquisitions.
• Achieve Trend Expertise. Operate at the-forefront-of-change-awareness within our markets. Establish predictive approaches to change and to new technology performance.
• Convert inventions and discovered technology to viable profitable product offerings that bring value to FSBP customers.
• Expected Travel: Up to 40%
• Ability to Identify Articulated and to Foresee Unarticulated Market Needs
• Ability to see the Big Picture; to prepare Contingency Plans and Long-Term Strategies.
• A Broad and Dynamic Understanding of Building Science, Building Materials, Energy Systems, Value Chain Cost and Emerging Trends;
• Ability to Strategically Plan over a 5 to 10 year Time Horizon
• Viewed as Credible Amongst Peer Groups and within the Building Products Industry
• Able to Integrate Financial, Market and New Technology Data into Product Platforms
o Leads, Drives and Provides Vision within the Team and Adjacent synergies.
o Communicates and Influences the FSBP Organization Toward a High Value Innovation Mindset
o A Thought Leader that can Build Consensus and Influence Mindset Regarding New Technology
o Provides Entrepreneurial Drive; Seeks to be the Best and to be the Dominant Leader in the Industry
o Uses Best In Class Benchmarks and Own Direct Experience as Catalysts for Driving Market Changing Innovation.
o Delegates Responsibilities to Team Members and Holds them Accountable
o Excellent Communication Skills—both Upwards and Downwards and Outside the Company. Ability to Lead and Communicate Orally, in Written Documents, and in Formal Presentations.
o Commitment to Company Core Values and Strategic Initiatives.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Formal Degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science or Materials Engineering
• A Minimum of 10 Years of Industry Experience in Building Products
• Proven Ability to Build and Lead Successful Teams
• Demonstrated Ability to Deliver New Technology and to Commercialize Products
• Strong Familiarity with Trends, Codes, Materials of Construction, Water and Energy Management.
• Proven Skills in Creating Strong and Collaborative Relationships within an organization.
• Strong Project Management Skills. Able to Balance Competing Priorities, Complex Situations, and Expected and Unexpected Timelines.
• Strong Computer Proficiency with MS Office Suite of products.
• Effective Written/Oral Communication Skills
Bridgestone is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. It is our policy to consider for employment all individuals regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
If hired, a Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification must be completed at the start of employment. Temporary work authorization or the need for sponsorship may disqualify you from employment.