Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires to address the needs of a broad range of customers, including consumers, automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment manufacturers, and those in the agricultural, forestry and mining industries.
The companies are also engaged in retreading operations throughout the Western Hemisphere and produce air springs, roofing materials, and industrial fibers and textiles. The Bridgestone Americas family of companies also operates the world’s largest chain of automotive tire and service centers.
Guided by its global corporate social responsibility (CSR), commitment Our Way to Serve, Bridgestone embraces its responsibility as a global leader by striving to improve the way people move, live, work and play.
A Program Engineer is accountable for the success of multiple Consumer development projects. This role will organize, lead, monitor, and follow-up a cross functional team built for each individual tire development program. This role will also work cross-functionally and pro-actively to resolve conflict, plan and ensure appropriate resources exist, and report up to the management team. Candidate needs to be self-driven and have the ability to anticipate potential hurdles, while working to eliminate them.
Accountable for the success of multiple Consumer development projects (baseline).
A. Planning and Organizing (with medium supervision)
1. Planning and scheduling resource requirements needed for projects and negotiating with support departments to obtain commitments and timing.
2. Forms and organizes a cross-functional team around the various projects.
3. Maintains relationships with team members and functional leaders to ensure accountabilities are being met.
4. Identifies critical issues to management that impact development programs so that they are clearly understood and addressed.
5. Works with functional leaders and peers to establish prioritization plans to meet timelines and objectives.
6. Represents product development to the business in high level review meetings.
7. Obtains detailed understanding of customer targets, timelines, milestones, and quality gates.
B. Technical Communications / Reporting (with medium supervision)
1. Represents the group in meetings with product development, with other departments within Bridgestone, and with customers. Needs to be able to take notes as appropriate, and communicate output of meetings.
2. Coordinates and conducts design reviews and management reviews.
3. Presents / reports to management status of projects ensuring that critical bottlenecks, countermeasures, and risks are addressed.
4. Identifies performance or timing risks to the program and elevates to upper management.
5. Coordinates and conducts internal target / gap review meetings with the relevant cross functional project team.
6. Understands technical content for a program, ability to summarize, and able to represent topic to customers either through presentation, reporting, or discussion.
C. Technical functions (with medium supervision)
1. Lead the establishment of the plan to meet customer performance and timing objectives.
2. Utilizes resources as required to meet customer objectives.
3. Advises management of project status and suggests long and short range project plans.
4. Delegates responsibility and authority to achieve objectives.
5. Establishes new procedures, analytical and clerical.
D. Conflict Resolution / Prioritization (with medium supervision)
1. Maintains and grows strong relationships with team members and leaders.
2. Able to interact with high level leaders in a clear and productive manner.
3. Utilizes interpersonal skills to resolve conflicts.
4. Prioritizes activity to maximize effectiveness in meeting customer targets.
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 7 years of experience, or a Master's Degree in Engineering with 5 years of experience.
Preferred: Mechanical Engineer with Automotive and/or project management experience.
Bridgestone is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. It is our policy to consider for employment all individuals regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
If hired, a Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification must be completed at the start of employment. Temporary work authorization or the need for sponsorship may disqualify you from employment.